First Baptist Church of DuBois, PA was founded in 1878. The first meetings were held in a one-room DuBois public school house. Rev. J.E. Dean was the church's first pastor.
The First Baptist Church family was pastored by six different men in the first 17 years. Rev. J.E. Dean (1878-1883); Rev. Parcell (1883-1885); Rev. C.W. Hamilton (1885-1886); Rev. H.H. Leamy (1886-1890); Rev. E.H. Hovey (1890-1891); and Rev. J.S. Teasedale (1891-1894). In the first year of Teasedale's time as pastor, the wooden church building caught fire and burned down. Construction of a new brick building began on East Long Avenue in downtown DuBois. The building's cornerstone was laid in 1893, and the new First Baptist Church building was completed in 1894. (The building still stands, pictured to the left, and it is currently home to Bethany Covenant Church.)
Three men served as pastor from 1894 to 1900. They were Rev. W.H. Clipman (1894-1896); Rev. F.S. Bardens (1896-1897); and Rev. William Holt (1897-1900). It was at the beginning of the 20th Century that the financially struggling, and small-in-number congregation of First Baptist Church welcomed a new pastor who was following an interesting journey -- Teno T. Vulkoff.